The Dean of Students/Student Affairs Office works closely with undergraduate and graduate students in the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) and Sawyer Business School (SBS).
Dr. Ann Coyne, BS ‘82, Dean of
Students & Associate Vice President of Enrollment
After working at several colleges in the Boston area, Dean Coyne has been back at Suffolk for 11 years and oversees several student life departments including Athletics, Counseling, Health & Wellness, the Center for Community Engagement, Diversity Services, the Interfaith Center, Off-Campus Housing, Orientation & New Student Programs, Performing Arts, Residence Life & Housing and Student Leadership & Involvement. Dean Coyne also collaborates with her academic colleagues to foster connections between student life and classroom learning. She is also the University’s current coordinator for Title IX and ADA compliance matters.
Shawn Newton, Associate Dean of Students
Dean Newton is new to Suffolk this year and has worked in student services for over 20 years. He provides direct service to students who may be struggling and oversees the Student of Concern Program which connects students to personal support, the Center for Learning and Academic Success and other resources. Dean Newton works closely with our engagement and leadership areas, the Center for Community Engagement and Off-campus Housing. He also assists students and families considering leaves of absence when unanticipated issues arise. He has an extensive background in conflict resolution, emergency preparedness and crisis management.
Elizabeth Ching-Bush, Assistant Dean of Students
Dean Ching-Bush works closely with Diversity Services and the Interfaith Center to support all students, but especially students from diverse backgrounds. She works to engage all students in building a campus community where differing opinions and approaches to issues are addressed in a respectful manner to promote understanding. Dean Ching-Bush also oversees the Community Standards and Student Conduct System.
John Silveria, Assistant Dean of
Students, MA ‘97
Dean Silveria oversees many of our student engagement areas and student life programs such as the Student Government Association, clubs and organizations and performing arts groups as well as orientation programs for new students and their families. He also meets with students to provide guidance and support and serves as the University liaison to our student veterans. Dean Silveria is also an adjunct faculty member in the Sawyer Business School.
Contact us if:
- You have a question, concern, or problem and you are unsure where to go, or with whom to speak.
- You are concerned about a student for any reason.
- You will be out of class for a week or longer. You must also contact your instructors.
- You have a problem that you need help resolving.
- You are applying to graduate school or are transferring to another institution and need a letter of good standing or a dean's certification.
- You are considering taking a leave of absence or withdrawing from the University.
- You received a notice to appear from a dean to attend an administrative hearing for an alleged violation of the Community Standards.
- You have a suggestion or idea about improving student life and would like to talk about it.
Are you feeling stressed or anxious? Counseling, Health & Wellness can help, both during and after normal business hours.
Would you like some academic support? The Center for Learning and Academic Success can help.
Would you like to get involved in campus life?
Looking for more information? See an expanded list of Student Resources.