All SBA Organizations and Journals planning an event should carefully utilize the following steps when organizing their event:
- Check for Potential Conflicts on the Law School’s ADX calendar. This is the only calendar that should be referenced (i.e. not the Campus Cruiser or the SBA website’s calendar). Link to Calendar.
- Schedule an event space, classroom or courtroom by filling out the Room Reservation Form.
- If alcohol is being served at your event, please submit the alcohol form to email@example.com at least three days prior to your event. A summary of the alcohol policy and the permission to serve form can be found HERE.
- Room set-up information must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org at least one week prior to event. Appropriate floor plan templates to be submitted to Marcelene Parmelee can be found below. Please PDF the form before emailing to preserve the formatting.
• DO NOT MOVE FURNITURE YOURSELF! It is a University Risk Management issue.
- If your event requires PowerPoint, microphones, music, recording or any other technical needs, please contact Media Services at email@example.com at least one day prior to your event.
Catering and Food Needs:
Food orders for events of 10 or more people must be ordered through Sodexo per the University contract. To submit an order, follow the link here! Or contact firstname.lastname@example.org to set up an appointment. When setting up an appointment, please be sure to bring your group’s 16 digit budget number to the meeting.
Sodexo’s catering manager is well-versed at designing menus for any budget.
Important Note about Alcohol:
If you are serving alcohol at your event, ordering through Sodexo is the most cost effective option (unless you have found someone to donate it). Sodexo receives a bulk ordering discount and they send back un-used inventory so that you are only billed for what is consumed.
If you are not using a Sodexo Safe Serve bartender, you may obtain a list of TIPS certified bartenders by emailing email@example.com. Please note that this bartender will be responsible for setup, breakdown and inventory (if alcohol was ordered). Once again, don’t forget to submit the FORM!
Students may not store unused alcohol in offices, lockers or other areas of the law school.
If your event requires PowerPoint, microphones, music, recording or any other technical needs, please contact Media Services at
firstname.lastname@example.org at least one day prior to your event.
Advertising Your Event:
- For announcements on the electronic monitors, each club should have a login account to Carousel to manage your event slides. If your group does not yet have a login, please contact email@example.com to have one set up.
- To advertise your event by email to the student body, law faculty and administrators, the Dean of Students Newsletter is the appropriate forum. Submissions are due to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com by noon on Thursday. Submissions received later will go in the next week’s iteration. You must include a contact person and the item should already be prepared how you wish for it to show up in the newsletter. If you wish to advertise the event to alumni, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All event marketing materials must be approved by the Dean of Students Office. Please refer to the posting policy for additional information here! Please note, events cannot be marketed through enticement of alcohol (includes photos, mentioning of free drinks, beer, wine) as per University policy. Please substitute “drinks/cocktails/beer/wine” with the word “refreshment”.
***In an effort to cut down on email traffic, the Dean of Students Office will only send individual emails to the student body in very limited circumstances and situations, and at the office's discretion.***
Other Things to Keep in Mind:
- If you want first years students to attend your event, please remember that 1st year evening students have classes on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings
- Please watch for conflicts with religious observances
- Try to be sensitive to the evening students' schedules
- Keep in mind that 1Ls have mid-terms
Please inform the Dean of Students Office immediately if you and your group are planning an event that may include a VIP or is unique in some way (i.e., the location, the type of event, the size of the event). This is very important for several reasons:
- The Dean's Office may be aware of conflicting (or complimentary) events
- The Deans may want to attend.
- The Deans may be able to help you!
- There could be University rules or procedures that apply.
- There could be liability concerns.
It is hard to say exactly what a Special Event is, so if in doubt, see the Dean of Students Office.
Off Campus Events:
Please inform the Dean of Students Office immediately if you and your group are planning events that include transportation (including rental cars) or physical activity (ski trip, SBA boat cruise, and any type of sports competitions, etc.). You will need to obtain a release form from the Dean of Students Office and have it signed by every student participating in the trips/events. Please note that this does not include events held outside the law school building, such as receptions at local bars/restaurants, etc.
Links to Important Diagrams and Forms:
- Function Room_Reception
- Function Room_Panel Followed by Reception
- Function Room_Dinner Banquet Setup
- Faculty dining room_Reception, Food Center, Bar Front
- Faculty dining room_Panel and Reception
- Faculty dining room_Panel
*Please note: floor diagram templates must be filled out completely including contact information and estimated number of attendees. Failure to do so will result in delays as the form will need to be sent back for completion.
*Please PDF the final version to prevent formatting errors before emailing to email@example.com.
*Please save the Word Doc in case any changes need to be made.