Changes in Enrollment

Students who modify their enrollment, either in an increase or decrease in semester credits, or a change their program must notify the Office of Financial Aid in writing of any changes.  Regardless of whether charges on your student account are adjusted or not, an adjustment may be required to your financial aid award. 

Students with federal education loans must be enrolled at least half-time to receive the loans and to continue to qualify for in-school deferment. For financial aid purposes:

  • JD Program: Full-time is considered 10 or more credits per semester for Day Division students and 7 or more credits per semester for Evening Division students. Half-time enrollment is considered 5-9 credits per semester for Day Division students and 4-6 credits per semester for Evening Division students.
  • LL.M. Program: Full-time is considered 9 or more credits. Half-time enrollment for LL.M. students is considered 5 or more credits.
  • Summer Semester: Students must be enrolled at least half-time during the summer to receive federal aid. Half-time enrollment is considered 3 credits for JD and LL.M. students and 6 credits for Dual Degree students enrolled solely in CAS or SSOM classes.

Students with federal loans who are enrolled less than half-time must complete exit counseling.

Withdrawal/Leave of Absence 

The Office of Financial Aid is required to recalculate federal financial aid eligibility for students who withdraw, drop out, are dismissed, or take a leave of absence prior to completing 60% of a semester. The withdrawal date is defined as the actual date the student began the withdrawal process with the Office of Academic Services or Dean's Office, the student's last date of attendance, or the mid-point of a semester for a student who leaves without notifying Suffolk Law. In some cases, federal loans already refunded to the student may need to be returned to the lender. Please note that his could result in an outstanding tuition balance owed to Suffolk University.

Other actions you may need to take if you are considering a withdrawal or leave of absence:

Institutional Aid Recipients

Institutional aid is disbursed to a student’s account after he/she incurs 100% tuition liability. This usually occurs after the add/drop period and the last day to drop a class without a ‘W’ grade. If a student withdraws or takes a leave of absence prior to this date, all institutional aid is returned. Once a student incurs 100% tuition liability, no adjustment is made to institutional aid.