Suffolk University and Sodexo have worked together to adopt the use of environmentally preferred products, expand and increase recycling, and offer waste reduction incentives.
- Eco-conscious menu items: Sodexo offers several foods produced locally and regionally. Have a look at signage in the cafes to learn where the food came from. When planning an event, ask the catering staff about local and regional menu options.
- Composting in dining halls: In 2012, Suffolk composted 160,000 pounds of food scraps (up from 153,000 pounds in 2011; 80,000 in 2010; 55,000 in 2009; and 10,000 in 2008).
- Comprehensive recycling: Staff in each of the kitchens recycle cardboard, glass, metal, and plastic.
- Mug Club: Use a reusable travel mug and get 15 cents off your beverage discount in the cafes on campus.
- Incentives: If you recycle or use a travel mug you may receive a voucher for a free brewed beverage or a coupon for a discount on your next cafe purchase.
- Composting at events: if you are planning an event, we encourage you to choose compostable dining ware (cups, plates, bowls, cutlery, and stirrers). Also be sure to include compost bins in your room set-up request.