Shelter in Place is a protective action to stay inside a building to avoid external hazards such as severe weather, a hostile intruder, or a hazardous material release. Shelter In Place is implemented as a measure to protect the safety and welfare of our students and staff. When Shelter In Place is warranted, you will be appropriately advised via the emergency notification system or other appropriate means.
General Steps to Shelter in Place
- Stay where you are or go into the nearest room with a door
- Close the doors and lock them if possible
- Close the windows and blinds or curtains
- Silence all audio equipment and cell phones
- Wait for the "all-clear" message from authorities