Kenneth Cosgrove, PhD
Department of Government
Office: 73 Tremont St., Rm. 1088
- PhD, University of Oklahoma
- BA, Suffolk University
A proud Suffolk Government Department alumnus, some of Ken Cosgrove's accomplishments include being:
- A Carl Albert Fellow
- An APSA Congressional Fellow
- A USA-Canada Parliamentary Exchange Fellow
- A Fulbright Hays Scholar (Brazil)
- A Fulbright Research Chair, (the most competitive Fulbright award to win- Canada)
- A Mellon Foundation Fellow
- A Salzburg Seminar (Austria) Fellow
- A Visiting Professor – Tamkang University (Taiwan) Institute of American Studies
- Committed to building global awareness and understanding (student field work across the USA, in Europe and in West Africa plus teaching in Taiwan and the PRC and language work in Cuernavaca, Mexico).
Cosgrove is the author of Branded Conservatives – a book published internationally in 2007. He also co-authored (along with Marvin Overby) “Unintended Consequences,” an early and very important article in the legislative studies literature regarding descriptive versus substantive congressional redistricting.
Cosgrove was of five editors based around the globe of the Handbook of Political Marketing (5th edition) under the leadership of Jennifer Lees-Marshment. (U of Auckland, NZ).
He is currently working on multiple books for which he already has contracts.
- November 2012 – Paper Presenter, Panel Chair, Discussant – Northeast Political Science Association Annual Meeting
- September, 2012 – Featured Presenter in a videoconference organized by the United States Department of State, United States Embassy in Canada Ottawa Ontario and multiple U.S. Consulates Canada-wide.
- June, 2012 Paper Presenter – Canadian Political Science Association, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
- December, 2011 Public Lecture – University of Alberta American Studies Center and the University of Alberta Downtown Centre – Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- December, 2011 Public Lecture – Carleton University, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
Fields of Interest
- Political Marketing and Media
- American Political Institutions and Social Movements
- U.S. Foreign Policy
“Charles Haughey” in David Wilsford’s Encyclopedia of European Political Leaders.
“Unintended Consequences?: Racial Redistricting and the Representation of Minority Interests.” The Journal of Politics 58:540-550. with L.Marvin Overby.
Republic of Ireland
Government of the Republic of Ireland
Information about the U.S. Congress
GVT 110 - Intro. to American Democracy
GVT 120 - Research Methods
GVT 347/647 - Legislative Process
GVT 391/691 - Canadian Politics
AMST 111 - Defining America and Americans