We expect students to know the academic policies and procedures applicable to their degree program. Students may accomplish this in several ways:
- Become familiar with the current Suffolk University Academic Catalog. The Policies for academic standing, validation credits, transfer credits, and many others are highlighted here.
- Meet with their assigned faculty advisor, or
- Meet with an administrator in the Sawyer Business School's Undergraduate Programs Office
Students are urged to take full advantage of the help and information offered by their faculty advisor or the Undergraduate Programs Office, especially during registration periods, to discuss academic, personal and professional goals; to review academic regulations; and to plan a program of study.
Students who are considering a transfer from the College of Arts and Sciences to the Sawyer Business School should make an appointment with an academic advisor in the Business School Undergraduate Program Office. Students receive an official Program of Study form outlining degree requirements for the BSBA or the General Business Studies Minor, and are assigned a Business School faculty advisor.
Once matriculated into a degree program at Suffolk University, students are expected to complete all course work at the University. Exceptions are made for international study, or where academic hardship merits consideration. When approved, a maximum of two courses may be taken at another accredited institution. Please note that taking outside courses may affect eligibility for honors at graduation.
A complete description of the Business School’s policy may be found in the current catalog.
To be eligible, a student must:
- Submit petition at least two weeks prior to the start of Suffolk’s summer I session
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0
- Have transferred fewer than 63 outside credits into Suffolk, and have accrued not more than 86 total credit hours toward graduation
- Not have begun the final 30 credits of the BSBA program
Meeting the above criteria does not guarantee that a petition for an outside course will be approved.
Get this information before completing the petition:
- The URL for the course description. If unavailable, contact the institution and request a copy of the syllabus or a .pdf of the catalog with the course name, number, and description.
- Write a 2-3 paragraph request explaining specifically why the outside course should be allowed. The most common reason that petitions are rejected is insufficient information as well as unacceptable reasons for the request.
Then complete the petition form online.
After completing the outside course:
- You must earn a “C” grade or better in the outside course for transfer of credits
- Arrange for the outside institution to send an official transcript to: Suffolk University, Sawyer Business School Undergraduate Programs, 8 Ashburton Place, Boston, MA 02108-2770.
- IMPORTANT: if the outside course is a prerequisite for a class you plan to take in the upcoming term, make sure the Business School Undergraduate Programs Office receives proof that you successfully completed the prerequisite course prior to the start of the upcoming term or you may be dropped from the upper-level course.