• How do I get started?

    Get started by attending one of our Mandatory Information Sessions. These sessions are held every Thursday from 1-2 pm in the Somerset building, room 115 (20 Somerset Street, 1st Floor).

  • Do I meet the requirements to apply?

    • You must be a currently enrolled student with a GPA of 2.5 or higher (some programs have higher GPA requirements).
    • You must have sophomore or junior standing by the time you plan to go abroad.
    • Students with less than 30 credits (first year students) OR students within 30 credits of graduation (seniors) may only study at our Madrid campus.
    • You must not have transferred in to Suffolk with more than 60 credits.
    • You must be in good academic, disciplinary, and financial standing with the university.
  • Where can I study?

    You have the option to choose from more than 50 different study abroad programs in over 25 countries, including Suffolk's own campus in Madrid, Spain. Check out our complete list of all programs to see what your options are!

  • What can I study?

    Your major and the courses you need to complete while you are studying abroad will help you to decide the best program options. As part of the application process, you will work with your Academic Advisor to choose the courses you will take while you are abroad.

    You can also check out our "Advanced Search" feature to sort programs by area of study.

  • How do I apply?

    When you apply to study abroad you will fill out two different application forms.  First, you will complete the online Suffolk University study abroad application. You will also complete the application for the specific program or school to which you are applying.  This application must be completed by the Suffolk application deadline (even if the program has a later deadline than Suffolk.)

    Note that students applying to study at Suffolk Madrid should only complete the Suffolk application.
  • What are the application deadlines?

    The deadline for studying abroad in the Fall or Academic Year is March 15. The deadline for Spring semester programs is October 15, and for Summer programs is March 15.

  • How long can I go abroad?

    Students can go abroad for a maximum of two semesters and a summer. Suffolk faculty-led program options may be as short as 3 weeks or as long as 8 weeks.  

  • How much will it cost?

    You will still pay Suffolk University tuition and fees for the semester you are abroad. Housing fees are paid directly to the program by the student. Housing costs vary by program and estimates are given on each programs’ information page. More detailed fees are distributed at advising appointments.

  • Can I use my financial aid?

    If a student is receiving aid, that funding (with the exception of employment/work study) can normally be used for a University affiliated study abroad program. Non-affiliated programs are not eligible for institutional forms of financial aid. Federal and state programs may be available, but require additional paperwork for a non-affiliated program. Please contact the Office of Student Financial Services for more information.

  • Where will I live?

    Housing options vary by program and can range from dormitories to apartments to home-stays. Refer to the program page to see what housing options are available for each specific program.

    Check out our "Advanced Search" feature to sort programs by housing type.

  • What if I don't speak another language?

    Classes at our Study Abroad programs are generally taught in English. Some may require that you take a language course as part of your course load while abroad. We do recommend that you study the language while you are abroad in order to help you communicate outside of the classroom and make the most of your experience!

  • Do I need a passport and visa?

    Everyone needs a passport to study abroad! If you are considering studying abroad and do not have a passport you should apply for one.  Most programs do require a visa, however this varies by program and by your own citizenship. Note that obtaining the passport and visa is the responsibility of the student. 

  • Can I work while I am abroad?

    In most cases the answer is no. If you are not a citizen of the country you are studying in, and are on a visa, you are usually prohibited from working while you are abroad. Some countries do allow you to work while you are abroad, but the number of hours you can work is strictly limited. Check with the consulate of the country you will be studying in.