The first step in the study abroad process is to attend a mandatory information session. Sessions are held every Thursday at 1:00 pm in Sawyer 1023 during the fall and spring semester. After attending one of these sessions, an advisor can meet with you to discuss any additional questions or concerns.
Where to begin:
- Talk to your parents/guardians about your intention to study abroad
- Attend a mandatory information session (Thursdays at 1:00 pm in Sawyer 1023)
- Research and select a program and/or the destination where you wish to study abroad
- Make sure you meet all the application requirements to study abroad
- Consider if you will study abroad for a semester or academic year, or on one of our shorter-term options (such as a summer program, or faculty-led course)
- Complete the application form(s)
- Meet with your academic advisor and select the courses you wish to take
- Make sure you have submitted all required documents (refer to the checklist provided with our application form)
- Submit completed application materials to the Study Abroad Office at Suffolk University by the specified deadlines. Note: Only COMPLETED APPLICATIONS will be accepted.
- Smile! You’re one step closer to your destination!
- If you don’t have one already, make sure you obtain a passport & visa (if applicable, check with the Study Abroad Office to see if you will need a visa for your program)
- Make your travel arrangements - make sure to provide the Study Abroad Office with your final flight itinerary if applicable
- Make sure your immunizations are up to date and if you need prescription medication, check with your doctor to have enough refills for your time abroad
- Develop a budget - consider in-country cost before you go
- Attend the two mandatory pre-departure orientation sessions
- Pay your tuition balance
- Pack and make sure you have a converter for all electronic devices you take abroad